Improving search in eZ publish January 31, 2006Posted by Paul Borgermans in eZ publish.
Search in eZ publish is not really rocket science with the current plugins (ezsearch and openfts). Our team at SCK-CEN had a meeting with the Mathematics department of the University of Ghent on order to brainstorm on a possible collaboration with them in the areas of fuzzy logic, AI, … applied to search with eZ publish.
It was a very interesting discussion and revived my old complaints on eZ search and my interest in doing something about it. So here is my plan for the 3.x series, a gradual (step-wise) addition of features, possibly also a test-bed for searching in the 4.x series:
- Do a lot more logging of what is going on in ez publish sites (Kristof started with this, again in a very elegant way), to be used as research data with AI and fuzzy logic algorithms
- Improve ranking based on priorities at the class and attribute level
- Provide stemming in case of non-existing keywords
- Take into account synonyms
- Take into account object relations
- Take advantage of the keyword and indexed word statistics
- as they are indexed
- as they are used in searches
- as they match user profiles (if a user is logged in of course)
- Improve deterministic/heuristics of the above with some basic AI/fuzzy algorithms
Design work is planned for February/March 2006, implementation and prototypes from April 2006. Later on collaboration projects with the University of Ghent for more advanced features and research are possible